Religious sites on Amorgos

Agios Ioannis Theologos

 

11Agios Ioannis Theologos is an early Byzantine church dedicated to the John the Evangelist. . It is considered to have been built between the 7th and the 9th century on the site of an ancient temple. The church is a Byzantine Vasiliki dome with a 3-aisled basilic, built in limestone.

 

It’s situated one and half hour’s walk from Langada in the north part of Amorgos in beautiful surroundings.
According to tradition, the church was built by a captain who made a promise to the saint to save his ship which was sailing in the dangerous sea area in the northeast region of Aegiali.

Agia Trianda Chapel Langada

Agia Trianda AmorgosAgia Trianda Chapel is “hanging on the cliff” only 5 minutes walk from Langada in the north of Amorgos. It was built during the years of piracy and was used as an occasional hiding place for the Aegialis population and overlook the whole valley and bay of Aegiali. The festival for Agia Triada is held 50 days after the Greek Easter celebrations.

The Monastery of Hozoviotissa

DSC_0014The Monastery of Hozoviotissa in Amorgos is the second oldest in Greece built in 1017 and renovated 1088, built by Alexius Comnenus I. It is literally hanging on the cliff side 300 m above the sea. The monastery was created as an ode to the Grace of Panagia, known as the Virgin Mary, which is the patron saint of the island. The icon is carried around to all the villages on the island every year.

Agia Anna Church

Agia Anna is a small chapel built on a rock by the sea. It is located in Agia Anna beach and distinguishes for its pure traditional style.

Agios Ioannis Chrysostomos

Agios-Ioannis-Chrysostomos-AmorgosAgios Ioannis Chrysostomos church is in the area of Kapsala just down of the walking path to the Monastery of Hozoviotissa. It has a hall with vaulted ceiling and preserved Byzantine and post-Byzantine frescoes. There is also ruins of cells and a mill.

Panagia Katapoliani

Amorgos Panagia Katapoliani KatapolaPanagia Katapoliani is built among picturesque houses, dominating the settlement of Katapola. It was built on the position of a Proto-Christian basilica. In the same location, in ancient years, stood the temple of Apollo.

Agios Georgios Valsamitis

16Agios Georgios Valsamitis is a beautiful church is located on the right hand side on the road connecting Chora to Kato Meria, surrounded by dense vegetation. It is one of the first churches built in the traditional Byzantic style. It is built on the site of an ancient temple dedicated according to myths to the god Apollon and also used to be an ancient oracle.